Monday, June 27, 2016

Hurrah for Israel!!

Hello hello everyone!!

Wow, I am actually in the MTC and am actually a missionary! It still doesn't feel quite real. I keep thinking this is some kind of a MTC prep camp and that I will just be here for a few more days and go home. But nosireee this is the real deal! Last week was so crazy. Walking into my class on the first day and hearing my teacher speak Portuguese was probably the scariest thing ever but things have worked out better than I could have possibly imagined. My companion is Sister Hulsey and I actually met her before we even got here! We had found each other beforehand and had done a temple session together so when I found out she was my companion I was so excited. She is so nice and so much fun and I have a blast with her every day. She knows a lot of Spanish which helps her a lot with Portuguese so she picks up on it really fast and is nice enough to help me as I try to catch up!
My district is made up of elders and sisters that are going to Porto and Lisbon in Portugal as well as Mozambique and we all have so much fun together which makes the hours of study seem to fly by.
Like I said things at the MTC have been really crazy. Last week was Mission President Seminar where all of the new mission presidents come in to learn about how to be a mission president so the main building of the MTC was closed to us. It was really cool though because we had apostles on campus with us all the time. At one point we were peeking inside the big building because a sister had seen at least 8 of the apostles walk by but the security guard caught us and said "Elders and sisters move along." So no meeting apostles to me but I did see Elder Stevenson in our building! 
Now the Portuguese. Oh the Portuguese! It is so good and so hard all at the same time. I feel like I am really slow at picking it up but I am also surprised at how much I have learned in the few days I have been here. The gift of tongues is definitely real and I pray for it every day! Teaching in Portuguese was really scary and was hard because for the first time I had so much I wanted to tell someone about the gospel and had no idea how to say it. That was really frustrating but after the lesson I had a very clear feeling that the only way I was going to learn Portuguese would be if  I was willing to "open my mouth." So the next lesson I tried it and it went so much better! It definitely wasn't perfect, but I walked out of that lesson knowing I had done my best and I could feel the Holy Ghost helping me remember words. So even though it is hard, I know that if I try my best and continue practicing, I'll be able to learn the language. 
Overall I love the MTC. I feel a constant peace and happiness while I am here. There are hard moments, but those moments are always followed by even better moments that help me know that the Lord knows me and knows where I am. I am so grateful to be here and grateful for all that I have learned in the short time I have been here. The best part of the week was definitely yesterday. We went to MTC choir where the director told us stories about the first missionaries which helped me realize that no mission is easy, but we can still be excited to go out and serve the Lord. Then we had an amazing devotional from Brother Stephen Allen from the missionary department and then we watched "The Character of Christ" by Elder Bednar. Both of those really helped me realize what it means to be a missionary. It isn't about me at all. It is about turning outwards and serving others. It is when we look to serve others that we truly become disciples of Jesus Christ.

I'm sorry if this was all over the place and not very detailed but I am out of time! I'll take pictures this week and send them next P Day. But know that I love you all very much and feel your prayers and pray for you in return. I am so grateful for this gospel and grateful for the opportunity I have to be a missionary. The church is true! Hurrah for Israel! (Definitely go look up that story where Brigham Young and Heber C Kimball shouted that to their families as they left on their mission)

Com Amor,

Sister Morey (Hey that's me!!!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment